Water is Life
How important is water?
Why do we need to conserve it and how does conservation benefit us?
Our bodies don’t work without it. Our crops don’t grow. Our gardens don’t bloom. Our fish don’t swim. Our pets don’t thrive. Our industries and communities can’t grow and expand. In fact, just about everything we do in our daily lives — directly or indirectly– depends upon water.
The earth is largely covered by water. But the truth is, only about 2% of that water is drinkable. And, with a constantly growing population, that small amount of water is being shared by more and more people, as well as having to supply all of the water needed for agriculture, manufacturing, power generation, our cities and neighborhoods, too.
We have taken our precious water supplies for granted…for too long. Now, water — quantity and quality — is a global issue. That’s why we have to learn to be better stewards of this finite resource…and learn to make informed decisions about how we use it.
Every time we turn on the faucet…we need to ask ourselves, “Is it worth the water?”
Water Conservation Links
- Alliance For Water Efficiency
- San Antonio Water System – Water Conservation
- USGS Water Science for Schools
- Save Water Texas Coalition
- Earth 911
- Canada’s Water Efficiency/Conservation
- Downloadable water conservation speakers kit offered by Environment Canada
- Harris Galveston Subsidence District – Water Conservation
- North Harris County Regional Water Authority – Water Education
- West Harris County Regional Water Authority – Water Education
- LCRA Water Conservation